Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

A Poet's Prayer


Let my heart grow
with the wonders
of this world.
 

Let me hear 
waves crash
turning rocks and shells
into the soft sand
beneath my feet.
 

May I see
the whale breech,
the albatross
and shearwaters
winging over
the lighthouse.


May I smell 
the sweet spicy scent
of plumeria, orchids
and the pikea.

May I taste
salt air on my tongue,
feel the gentle rain
and the warming sun.


May I see

the bright colors
of a rainbow
arcing over my world
like this poem
I must write.


  Jane Yolen sent a poem today titled Another Writer's Prayer.  I used it as a mentor poem for mine.  Her poem was about all the woodland things she needed to write her stories.  The first time I read her poem, I thought these are all fall things, we need a summer poem for this time of year.  On further reading, I realized it wasn't fall, it was woodland with sycamore trees and gray squirrels.  We don't have squirrels on Kauai.  In fact, as someone pointed out to me recently, there isn't a wide variety of mammals on the Hawaiian islands.  Most of those we do have were imported. 
  So, your poetry challenge for today is to write your own ode, a poem of praise.  Use your five senses and tell what you can see, feel, smell, touch and taste.  Use your locale to share your world with your reader.  Have fun writing your own poem.


  Do you wish to touch the stars?

7 comments:

  1. What a lovely idea, Joy, using Jane's poem as a mentor for yours, updated with your own environment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you , Tabatha.
      Poems are in every landscape, if we just take the time to look for them.

      Delete
  2. Like the way you crafted your poem from Jane's, Joy. Hawaii must be a haven for writing. If you have a spring poem with photo to share for my spring gallery, Springsations, I would love for you to send it to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really!!! I am very impressed after seeing this blog. thanks for sharing.



    Nursery Rhymes Lyrics

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for inspiring all of us to reach for the stars we want to reach in our lives.

    Never Give Up
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really very interesting and very valuable information about the love poems nice work..
    love poems

    ReplyDelete